Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Book Snap: Joel Burnett's "Where is God?"



I picked this book up because it had been suggested to me that it contained some good material on ancient client-patron relationships, and that it supported certain views I’ve laid out on how the patronage template explains why God is not particularly active in the world. Well, it does contain some material on patronage, but it’s in just part of one chapter, and it doesn’t relate it much to God’s absence from activity in the creation. Mostly, in fact, this is a survey of texts on divine absence, which is fine, but I would have liked to have seen Burnett connect the dots a little more.

If you can look past the use of JEDP presuppositions, at any rate, this is a pretty darned good survey of those texts, and of the historical background of divine absence. I didn’t find much new, but it was worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment